Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Glad I went glad to be home

This past weekend was the first "Mission Trip" that I have taken since joining NEHBC and let me just say, I am so glad I went. I was joined by some of the most fearless soul-winners (18) and was just in awe of what God is able to accomplish with willing hearts. Below I written a summary account of how it changed me, to here from others I challenge you to join us on Wednesday February 29th at 7:00pm to here personal accounts from team members.

We left Houston Saturday morning at 6:00am, okay more like 6:30, in two passenger vans and luggage in tow headed to New Orleans, LA to share the good news of Jesus Christ. We arrived around 3:00pm after driving through huge and oftentimes blinding downpours. I was sitting in the back seat of one of the vans, a seat I was not used to sitting in because I normally drive, so I had plenty of time to think and pray. I started to feel a rather ill feeling sometime after Lake Charles either because of spiritual attacks or the van swaying back and forth from the 60mph wind gusts first from the north then from the south. For now I just prayed for the ill feeling to go away and it did for the most part. We stayed at the guest houses on the NOBTS and accommodations were dorm room/ hotel in nature, no complaints. Soon after arriving our leader Pastor Greg wanted to get right to the streets; so after a short training, prayer and a quick tour around the area it was to the streets armed with tracts, Bibles and rain attire we hit the streets in groups of three.

My team consisted of Veronica (Veteran Mardi Gras--er), Alex and myself big old guy to protect the lady's. I stuck to the rear as we walked toward Bourbon St., handing out tracts to any that would take them. My first encounter was with a Muslim shopkeeper, as I needed to get a ball cap to keep my rain hood from blocking my sight. Gave him a tract with the money and he gave me my change along with the tract. First rejection out of the way, I'm alive nothing happened, now time to get a taker. We approached a cigar shop, have to say I love the smell of a good cigar, so I asked this young man that had just come out what he was smoking and how was it. After using the CAST technique. I found C-ommon ground; in that he was in NO for a drill competition at Tulane with the Corp of Cadets, personally I'm not an Aggie but Regina's twin brother is '87 so that allowed me to break the ice a little. When I moved into Spiritual matters he said he was an Atheist. I continued to ask him questions about his faith to see if we could find any common ground. When asked about morallity he said, "there was none." So I asked him if I punch one of my girls in the mouth what would he do? "Stop you," he said. Why if my reality says it's okay ot do it who are you to stop me. We finally agreed he was not an Ateist but an Agnostic because he didn't care one way or the other. His friends prompted him that it was time to go of the five the "born again" guy and the "Pordestant" did not take the tracts but the others did. Finally, to Bourbon St. and the rain stopped people began to fill the streets it was soon a very crowded and oppressed place to be, and I was feeling it. At this point it was all I could do to pick my feet up to walk, a feeling that I have never experienced in my life, knowing this exactly what Satan would want I sent out a prayer request to about the ten people that said they would pray for me and my family while I was there. Simply said "PRAY NOW" and they did because we took a quick break to eat and went back to the streets. All and all-many tracts passed out and the gospel was shared 3-times. Back to the room after feeling like I did 12 rounds with Satan and slept like a rock.

After taking a ribbing from my roomate for snoring, a problem I shared before going to bed, it was time to debrief share with the 9:00 service and back to the streets. Day two accomplished about the same type of encounters for our group, with many chances to talk to people about why we were there. On day three we concentrated our efforts to the Riverwalk and I had one very good full gospel presentation with a young college student from WFU in Tallehasse, although Ryan did not make a decission he was listening very closely.

I can say that this was the hardest and most fullfilling time we can have as Christians on mission. The attacks are great, the oppression is felt and the Holy Spirit was engaging. Given the opportunity I will do this again. I will also be going with Hellfighters as a supporter until further notice. I teach my class to be on mission where ever they go, as we are cammanded. This has brought a new passion for the lost.

God Bless

1 comment: